We see a lot of great efforts on emergency response plans, but so many times folks just do not know the details OSHA will be looking for. Here are the required sections/information for your ERP and the details required.
(q)(2)(i) Pre-emergency Planning and Coordination
1) Does the plan address coordination with outside emergency response organizations?
2) Have employers notified and coordinated their ERP with the organizations listed? CSHOs will verify with the local fire department(s) that you have contacted them regarding your emergency response capabilities and needs and the fire department's role, if any, in providing emergency response. CSHO will verify with other randomly-selected emergency response organizations listed in the ERP that these outside parties are aware of and capable of fulfilling their role under your ERP.
3) Are telephone numbers and contact personnel for in-plant officials and local authorities updated and made available?
4) Do the pre-emergency planning and coordination procedures address how outside parties are notified of a potential emergency situation and what role each would play in an incident? CSHO will verify whether the employer has conveyed these elements of the ERP by contacting several of the affected outside parties.
5) CSHO's will ask outside responders if they are aware of any circumstances that were either not disclosed or considered by the employer that would delay or prevent them from responding to an incident (e.g., distance, lack of training, etc.)
In addition to pre-emergency planning and coordinating with outside parties, the employer must also pre-plan for situations that may require employees to shelter-in-place.