UPDATED FREE Mine Safety Section with 21 Documents
Continuing to work on the Photo Database, adding categories so searching for the right photo is easier.
Over 12,300 exclusive unsafe acts/conditions and accident/injuries photosand over 1,300 ppt's & doc's from more than 2,782 contributors!
Many THANKS to my NEW and RENEWING "Partners in Safety"
WARNING! This video may be upsetting to some viewers, NO GRAPHIC images but it is a VERY SERIOUS accident caught on tape - Viewer Discretion is advised. VOLUME WARNING - Turn DOWN your volume as the "F" bomb rightfully gets dropped after this accident!
CLICK on "Read More" below for the full size image
Have you ever seen fire extinguihers with an HMIS or NFPA Label? Did you think to yourself... hmm do fire extinguishers fall under HAZCOM? If the OSHA website was up I would provide a link to the LOI discussing this very topic; however, it seems to be a mute point now that the OSHRC has stated Fire Extinguisher are exempt from 1910.1200 because they are "consumer products". Here's what they said...
Those of you that visit SAFTENG often know that I love the FM Global Data Sheets! These data sheets are NOW FREE (and have been for a couple of years). They serve as a GREAT AID in helping facilities understand their hazards and risks associated with all kinds of industries. In fact, although my practice is not endorsed by Global FM, I point clients to these data sheets when an employer will not purchase costly consensus standards, as often times FM Global has a "data sheet" that will address the fundamental issue the consensus standard addresses. Case in point... this week the Chemical Safety Board published a Safety Alert: Anhydrous Ammonia Safety Bulletin - Five Key Lessons to Prevent Hydraulic Shock (CSB). As with most CSB publications this alert is getting shared widely among the ammonia refrigeration industry and this is a GOOD THING; but did you know that FM Global's Data Sheet 12-61, Mechanical Refrigeration had already brought to light the scenario that the CSB Alert did. Here is what FM Global's Data Sheet 12-61, Mechanical Refrigeration Case Study #6 says...
Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, Safety Alert No. 314 - Operator Electrocuted Trying to Charge a Battery
On a drilling rig offshore in the Gulf of Mexico, an operator for a cementing contractor was trouble shooting an electronic instrument failure. He suspected a discharged battery in a battery box was the problem. He plugged a wheeled battery charger (like those in all service stations) into a three-prong extension cord carrying household 115V current, and was killed by electrocution. A BSEE Panel investigated the incident and determined that the extension cord was shorted in its female end with the ground wire burned off. This allowed a hot wire from the extension cord to connect with the ground wire of the battery charger. The ground wire of the battery charger then energized the metal case and when the operator knelt on a wet deck and touched the battery charger case, current passed through his hand to his knee, stopping his heart. The root causes of this fatality lie with:
This article was written By: Michael Farber, Senior Advisor to the Director of BSEE and I am posting it here as there is no means to "share" this great piece via social media.
General Motors (GM) recently released the findings of its internal investigation into the various failures that led to 12 fatalities and many injuries resulting from collisions caused by faulty ignitions switches in a number of its models. The company found that the ignition switches failed to keep the cars powered in certain circumstances, but they initially did not understand that this failure would prevent airbags from deploying. The internal investigation determined that there were at least 54 frontal-impact collisions in which airbags did not deploy as a result of the faulty ignition switches. GM used the faulty switches for 11 years without issuing any type of recall.
GM’s experience provides a window into how companies of any size and sophistication can lapse into systemic problems that can result in tragic consequences. Lessons learned from the GM experience can be applied to offshore oil and gas operations, as well as any other industry where lives are at stake every day. These lessons include:
Respondent has an RMProgram covered process, ammonia storage, which stores or otherwise uses anhydrous ammonia, an amount exceeding its applicable threshold of 10,000 pounds. Respondent has submitted and registered an RMPlan to the EPA. Based on an RMProgram compliance monitoring investigation initiated on January 31, 2013, the EPA alleges that the Respondent violated the codified rules governing the CAA Chemical Accident Prevention Provisions, because Respondent did not adequately implement provisions of 40 CFR Part 68 when it:
Respondent owns and operates a natural gas processing well site and facility, which includes a separator used for separating well fluids produced from the natural gas well into gaseous and liquid components and a tank battery which consists of interconnected storage tanks situated to receive output from the natural gas well and separator. Natural gas is a highly flammable gaseous hydrocarbon mixture containing methane, ethane, propane and butane, which are extremely hazardous substances listed in Table 3 of 40 CFR § 68.130 that may ignite, flashback or explode when exposed to a source of ignition. On Monday, February 3, 2014, multiple maintenance projects were underway at the facility. A coil tubing job was underway on one part of the facility. Cuttings and crude oil from the coil tubing job were placed in the "water storage tank" for storage. A welder and assistant were tasked with connecting a two inch water line running from the "water tank". Hydrocrarbon vapors collected in the two inch line due to the offloading of cuttings and crude oil that had been placed in the "water tank" from the coil tubing job. When the welder struck an arc on the two inch line, the flammable vapors ignited and traveled down the two inch line until they reached the water tank, which then exploded.